Jeri grew up in Cincinnati Ohio, has a degree in biology and has pursued a variety of creative interests over the years. Her early work was mostly pencil sketches and pastels. To further her art education and meet other artists, Jeri attends workshops and classes taught by local artists, Ann Thiermann, Seana Mallen, Margaret Renner-Hellman, and Mike Bailey, among others. Recently, she has been working in watercolor and mixed media with a group of local Santa Cruz artists and is actively pursuing development of a body of work in those mediums. Her style ranges from realistic, to very loose and even graphic novel-like depending on the project or subject matter ( examples posted below ). Jeri is interested in rendering local Santa Cruz scenery, architecture, and people as well as animal portraiture. She is a member of the Santa Cruz Art League and the 2020-2022 on line Open Studios Venture - Visual Arts Network ( all works to date are pictured on her page: https://visualartsnetworkscc.com ). Jeri also participates in community fundraisers. The annual "hearts for the arts" by the Santa Cruz Arts Council, and most recently, the 2020 fundraiser for local families impacted by the 2020 fire season. Jeri shows and sells her artwork ( Giclee reproductions in cards, prints of various sizes and framed prints ) at the "Art of Santa Cruz" gallery in the Capitola Mall. Please contact her directly for information and availability of original artwork.
Santa Cruz County Government Center, Summer 2022
July 29 through September 30, 2022 fifth floor. My art will be available for view - framed originals and prints - on the fifth floor. There will be 2 other artists showing their work on the fifth floor and several more on the first floor. There will be two First Friday opportunities to view the work and meet the artists in August and September. I will have cards and unframed prints also available for review and purchase during the two First Friday events. It would be great to meet you there!
Open Studios, October 2022!
October 1st and 2nd, then October 15 and 16th from 10 am to 5 pm.
I will be participating at my Studio in Santa Cruz this year, for North County weekend and All County weekend. I'm artist #16 in the catalogue and have two other artists across the street from me - a 3 for 1 this year! In addition to my paintings, prints and cards, I will be making my fabric art available. This includes small quilts for wall hangings, as well as toddler and nursery quilts. There are also colorful fabric covered juggling balls - they make a fun gift for adventurous children of all ages!
Skill development resources - local teachers and classes I would recommend:
Basic to professional skill development through local Santa Cruz classes/teachers and on-line courses:
- Local santa cruz painters/teachers:
- Ann Thiermann - Pastel and Mural Artist who often teaches through Cabrillo College extension classes. Good technical knowledge, a wide range of subject matter skills with a very helpful and encouraging teaching style. She often has a plein air component to her classes. Please see her website for more information.
- Margaret Renner-Hellman - local pastel, watercolor and oil painter. Good teacher of basic to professional skill in all media. Stresses fundamentals and often offers classes through Santa Cruz Art League as well as longer art retreats in France, Italy and other locations. Please see her website for more information.
- Mike Bailey - stresses fundamentals, but challenges himself and his students with techniques to dig deeper, uncovering alternative artistic avenues hidden by our comfort zones. He offers a master color class, and a "make yourself stretch" classes titled Beyond the Obvious. Please see his website and blog for more information.
- Recent art skills development: on-line courses
- Lana Ballot - Pastel - ocean coastline workshop - 9-2020
- Terri Ford - Pastel landscape workshop - 10-2020
- Melinda Cootsona - Oil and cold wax ( the figure in cold wax ) workshop - 6-2021
- Melinda Cootsona - Abstraction workshop -4-2022
- Ongoing skill development
- weekly artist meet-up for sharing techniques and group critiques - since 2017