Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter the subject of your email
- My name is Madonna Lavon Camel.
- I attended UCSC from 1981-1987.
- I retired from UC Berkeley in 2018 and moved to Capitola with my partner.
- I did not start creating art until the pandemic. It was never my intention, but it found me in the beautiful Ankara fabrics of Africa. I consider myself to be a historical sociologist. I have taken that understanding and put it into my work over the last year. I created a piece last Juneteenth that pays homage to the African Diaspora within the United States.
- This year, in celebration of Juneteenth, I am honored to host my first exhibition at London Nelson Community Center on the first Friday of June. My method includes mixed media featuring Ankara fabric and upcycled vintage serving trays. It is a homage to our ancestors and their freedom which has allowed us to thrive. There will be music by one of our favorite local musicians, Elie Mabanza.