Jeri grew up in Cincinnati Ohio, has a degree in biology and has pursued a variety of creative interests over the years. Her early work was mostly pencil sketches and pastels. To further her art education and meet other artists, Jeri has attended workshops and classes taught by local artists Ann Thiermann, Seana Mallen, Margaret Renner-Hellman and Mike Bailey, among others.
Recently, she has been working in watercolor and mixed media with a group of Santa Cruz artists, and has been developing a body of work in those mediums. Her style ranges from realistic to very loose and even graphic novel-like depending on the project or subject matter. Jeri's favorite subjects include Santa Cruz scenery, architecture and animal portraiture.
Jeri is a member of the Santa Cruz Art League and participates in community fundraisers like the annual "Hearts for the Arts" that benefits local schools. She shows and sells selected originals and giclée reproductions (cards, prints of various sizes and framed prints) at the Art of Santa Cruz gallery in the Capitola Mall. Please contact Jeri for more information, including availability of original artwork and to arrange commissions.
Special note: New painting nearing completion: Nickelodeon theatre at night - in the picture gallery below.
Skill development resources - local teachers and classes I would recommend:
Basic to professional skill development through local Santa Cruz classes/teachers and on-line courses:
- Local santa cruz painters/teachers:
- Ann Thiermann - Pastel and Mural Artist who often teaches through Cabrillo College extension classes. Good technical knowledge, a wide range of subject matter skills with a very helpful and encouraging teaching style. She often has a plein air component to her classes. Please see her website for more information.
- Margaret Renner-Hellman - local pastel, watercolor and oil painter. Good teacher of basic to professional skill in all media. Stresses fundamentals and often offers classes through Santa Cruz Art League as well as longer art retreats in France, Italy and other locations. Please see her website for more information.
- Mike Bailey - stresses fundamentals, but challenges himself and his students with techniques to dig deeper, uncovering alternative artistic avenues hidden by our comfort zones. He offers a master color class, and a "make yourself stretch" classes titled Beyond the Obvious. Please see his website and blog for more information.
- Recent art skills development: on-line courses
- Lana Ballot - Pastel - ocean coastline workshop - 9-2020
- Terri Ford - Pastel landscape workshop - 10-2020
- Melinda Cootsona - Oil and cold wax ( the figure in cold wax ) workshop - 6-2021
- Melinda Cootsona - Abstraction workshop -4-2022
- Ongoing skill development
- Weekly artist meet-up for sharing techniques and group critiques - since 2017